[linux-audio-dev] Windowmanager (Re: Alternative Sequencer User Interface)

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Apr 13 16:14:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 05:01:39PM +0200, Tim Orford wrote:

> i agree that this is fairly essential functionality.
>
> but i think there is an argument that windows should be managed by
> the window manager:-)

Sure. But splitting up _one_ window into scalable areas is
a somewhat different story.

While combining Blenders possibilities with traditional WM
features would be ideal, I don't see that happen.
Who would like to switch WM to use some special apps?
But a framework providing the described functionlaity inside
windows on top of any WM could be a great thing (the WM managing
windows and desktops/workspaces, the framework managing areas
inside windows).

Oh, and WMs usualy don't manage loading/saving setups (Screens
in Blender). And you can't change which app is displayed
in a window ...

> i had a quick look at some of the many undocumented gtk docking systems
> (such as Gimpdock or gdldock)(kde also has kdocwidget:
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/3.0-api/classref/kdeui/KDockWidget.html )
> It appears that people are beginning to realise how desirable this is,
> and it looks likely that gtk will eventually include a standard docking
> widget as things mature. Anjuta (http://anjuta.org/anjuta.php?page=home)
> is one of the best examples under gtk.

I think Blender's style is much more clear (where sections start/end).
Also note that it provides no means to undock anything. A simplifying
limitation, which has not shown to be a problem.
And the KDE and Gnome docking systems will be designed to work inside
the scope of _one_ app.

> the screenshot you refer to shows separate windows running under the Ion
> window manager which provides most if not all the features you mentioned.
> Perhaps having these services provided by the wm makes certain things harder,
> but it seems to be the most versatile; all apps benefit, and the user
> has more choice and more consistency.

Ion ... if I remember corectly it can't handle dialog windows gracefuly!?
However, it's certainly not for every one, and I'm disappointed, because
this means your app has lots of little windows ...

In fact I'm working on the design of a general user interface around
a document-centric, application-less system, where something like
Blenders windowing system will be a part of.
The Y-window project might be a chance for implemenation of such ideas.
It's in any case my only hope for unified theming/widgets. Oh, and
they plan to have widget as loadable modules, what should be great
for the needs of audio developers (easy sharing, not reinventing the
wheel).

> i will release the code to my app in a few weeks hopefully
> and would certainly welcome ideas.

As long as I don't have to run Ion ... ;-)

> In the meantime perhaps you could look at Ardour?:-)

Hm, I'm more interested in combined audio/midi sequencers.
But I might look into it later on (no promise).

> Or perhaps a window manager?
> There is also a need for good gtk and kde themes and icon sets.

There are already so many WMs and themes ...
I found good enough themes/settings for my desktop. Since I will not be
satisfied with anything less then an unfied desktop, I do not intend to
put work into such things.

---
Thorsten Wilms