[linux-audio-dev] jack_fst: a JACK client to run VST's

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Apr 20 17:30:13 UTC 2004

>> so are you actually doing the same as libfst ?
>
>I haven't looked into libfst, but it sounds like 'yes'. However our code

i hope not! its hard to think of a reason for you to do this. you guys
are already presumably using wine and i would think it much easier to
use kjetil's approach of running VST's in a wine-executed process in
which all threads are created as win32 threads. i haven't seen
anything in your product info that would convince me to do the FST
thing (run win32 code in a thread created using a linux API).

the only reason for FST is that a native linux app that wants to run
*lots* of VST plugins with truly minimal latency can't afford to
context switch to/from a new process for every plugin. but if i was
going to just run, say, 8 VST plugins on a linux system, kjetil's
standalone/separate process model seems great to me. and even if my
demands went beyond that, i would probably still build my host app
using winemaker and execute it using wine. i would not try to run
win32 code in an application written for linux :)

i actually contemplated building ardour like this at one point. that
has more complications that i was willing to deal with, but if i was
going to do what you and the plugzilla guys are doing, the winemaker
approach to compiling a "native-linux-but-win32-API" app would be my
approach for sure.

--p