[linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux soundapps pages updated

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Wed Apr 21 09:02:17 UTC 2004

>From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen at chello.se>
>
>Dave is not doing his site for a living and when introducing updates, he
>just picks what appears to be "the essence" or "the catchline" in the
>releasenotes.

Yep, it is very hard to keep the list up-to-date if developers
theirself don't write the entries and update them. Most software
I have downloaded won't even compile and documentation is not
always adequate.

That is why I selected for my list a format which encourages users to
find out what software among several candidates fits for them. The
list is attached below. I also have a similar list for graphics software.

I have not checked Dave's list at all in making my list. I actually have
downloaded all the software. And I still have 15 Gbytes of downloaded
stuff unchecked and 300+ urls to go through. I have included a list of
unsorted items at the very end.

I'm also downloading material for making similar lists for commercial
software and hardware. Manuals, screenshots, SDKs -- whatever could
be useful for us.

Regards,
Juhana

Audio and graphics applications
===============================
               with source code
                 for developers

Audio
-----

ac3filter                  AC3 decoder
% http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net
Alsa                       audio device drivers
% http://www.alsa-project.org
AlsaModularSynth (AMS)     modular synth
% http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net
AlsaPlayer                 audio player
% http://www.alsaplayer.org
amSynth                    analogue modelling synth
% http://amsynthe.sourceforge.net
Anthem                     audio sequencer
% http://anthem.sourceforge.net
Ardour                     audio sequencer
% http://www.ardour.org
Aube                       modular synth
% http://www.metadecks.org/software/aube/
% http://metadecks.sourceforge.net/aube/ ????
Audacity                   multichannel audio editor
% http://audacity.sourceforge.net
Audiality
% http://audiality.org
Audiofile
% ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/audiofile/
Axel                       audio sequencing and mixing library
% http://www.metadecks.org/software/axel/
% see also Remix
Bacterium                  analogue modelling synth
% http://members.ping.de/~stefan/
% ftp://members.ping.de/pub/Linux/bacterium/
Beast                      sequencer and modular synth
% http://beast.gtk.org
BINARS                     sequencer
% http://binars.sourceforge.net
BLOP                       LADSPA plugin collection
% http://blop.sf.net
Brahms                     multitrack sequencer
% http://brahms.sourceforge.net
% old??  http://lienhard.desy.de/mackag/homepages/jan/Brahms/
Caps                       LADSPA plugin collection
% http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html
cdparanoia                 CD ripper
% http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
Cecilia                    graphical front end for Csound
% http://cecilia.sourceforge.net
CheeseTracker
Csound                     modular synth
Ecasound
Ecawave
ESPS                       speech analysis
% http://www.speech.kth.se/esps/esps.zip
FLAC                       lossless audio file format/compressor
http://flac.sourceforge.net
FluidSynth                 SoundFont synth
% http://www.fluidsynth.org
freqtweak
% http://freqtweak.sourceforge.net/
gAlan                      modular synth
% http://galan.sourceforge.net
gdam
Glame
gmorgan                    rhythm station, a pattern sequencer
gmurf
Gnomoradio                 peer-to-peer music playing system
Gramofile
% http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/
Gungirl Sequencer          multitrack sequencer
% http://ggseq.sourceforge.net
Horgand                    FM synth
% http://horgand.berlios.de
% http://download.berlios.de/horgand/ ?????
% http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/soudfontcombi/ ?????
Hydrogen
% http://hydrogen.sourceforge.net
iiwusynth
% now: fluidsynth
Jack
% http://jackit.sourceforge.net
Jack-Rack
% http://pkl.net/~node/jack-rack.html
JackEQ
% http://jackeq.sf.net
Jamin                      mastering tool
% http://jamin.sourceforge.net
Jazz
% http://www.jazzware.com
jMax
% http://www.ircam.fr/jmax
lakai
% http://lakai.sourceforge.net
LAME                       mp3 encoder
% http://lame.sourceforge.net
Liar Liar                  voice stress analyser and lie detector
% http://liarliar.sourceforge.net
liblscp                    control protocol for LinuxSampler
% http://www.rncbc.org/ls/
% Is later supposed to be a part of LinuxSampler?
libsamplerate              library for audio sample rate conversion
% http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/
libsndfile                 library for reading and writing sound files
% http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/
LilyPond                   typesetter for music notation
% http://lilypond.org
Ldrum                      drum machine
% http://www.sinussource.de/ldrum/
LinuxSampler               disk based sampling synth
% http://www.linuxsampler.org
Melys                      MIDI sequencer
% http://www.parabola.demon.co.uk/melys/
% http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/melys/
mffmtimescale
midimountain               MIDI sequencer
% http://www.midimountain.com
mikmod
% http://www.freenet.tlh.fl.us/~amstpi/mikmod.html
MixMagic                   multitrack sequencer
% http://mixmagic.sourceforge.net
Mixview (MXV)              editor
% ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/
Mixxx                      DJ player
% http://mixxx.sf.net
mpg321
% http://mpg321.sourceforge.net
MusE                       multitrack audio and MIDI sequencer
% http://lmuse.sourceforge.net
NMEdit                     modular editor for Clavia's Nord Modular
% http://nmedit.sourceforge.net
NoteEdit                   score editor
% http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html
Octavian                   modular synth
% http://octavian.sourceforge.net
Oolaboola                  DJ tool
% http://www.hyperreal.org/~est/oolaboola
OpenAL                     library for managing 3D spatialized audio devices
% http://www.openal.org
OpenMusic
% http://freesoftware.ircam.fr
% ftp://freesoftware.ircam.fr/pub/openmusic/
% http://sourceforge.net/projects/ircam-openmusic/
% http://ircam-openmusic.sourceforge.net ????
PatchMix                   modular synth
% http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/download/mara/Patchmix.src.tar.Z
% ?? ftp://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/pub/mara/Patchmix.src.tar.Z
Pipewave                   audio DSP processor
% http://www.cf.ac.uk/psych/CullingJ/
PortAudio
% http://www.portaudio.com
Pd (Pure-Data)
% http://www.pure-data.org
% http://pure-data.sourceforge.net
% http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp
Pd-GEM
% http://pd-gem.sourceforge.net
PyMIDI                     MIDI parser for Python
% http://www.hyperreal.org/%7Eest/python/MIDI/
Pymprovisator
% http://pymprovisator.sourceforge.net
Q/Q-Audio/Q-Midi
% http://q-lang.sourceforge.net
qjackctl                   controller for JACK
% http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net
QSynth                     GUI for FluidSynth
% http://qsynth.sourceforge.net
Remix                      sequencing and mixing library
% http://www.metadecks.org/software/remix/
% see also Axel
Rezound
% http://rezound.sourceforge.net
Rosegarden                 audio and MIDI sequencer
% http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/
% http://www.rosegardenmusic.com
% http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net ????
RTMix
% http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
Sapphire                   modular synth
% http://rexio.uci.agh.edu.pl/~kfoltman/
seq24                      MIDI sequencer
% http://www.filter24.org/seq24/
sfvbm/sfedit               SoundFont manager and editor
% http://www.floot.demon.co.uk/sfvbm
simsam                     sampling synth
% http://simsam.sourceforge.net/
Smurf
% now: Swami
Snd                        multitrack editor
% http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Software/snd/
Sndlib                     library for reading and writing sound files
% http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Software/snd/
sooperlooper
% http://essej.net/sooperlooper
SoundFontCombi (SFC)       MIDI router
% http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/soudfontcombi/
Soundtracker               pattern sequencer
% http://www.soundtracker.org
Sox                        audiofile converter, effects
% http://sox.sourceforge.net
Specimen                   sampling synth
% http://www.gazuga.net
SpiralLoop
SpiralSynthModular (SSM)   modular synth
% http://www.pawfal.org/Software/SSM/
spkit
% http://www.music.helsinki.fi/research/spkit/
STK                        modular synth
% http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/software/stk/
% http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~gary/STK.html ?????
Supercollider              modular synth
% http://supercollider.sf.net
Swami
% http://swami.sourceforge.net
Sweep                      audio editor
% http://sweep.sourceforge.net
% http://www.metadecks.org/software/sweep/
swh-plugins                LADSPA plugin collection
% http://plugin.org.uk
% Note: try also subdirectories
%  32vs64/ blockless/ GMPI/ graphics/ lrdf/ meterbridge/
%  releases/ src/ timemachine/ clockloop/
tapiir
% http://www.iua.upf.es/~mdeboer/tapiir/
Tap-plugins                LADSPA plugin collection
% http://tap-plugins.sf.net
TerminatorX
TimeMachine
% http://plugin.org.uk/timemachine/
Timidity                   sampling synth with SoundFont support
% http://timidity.sourceforge.net
% http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/
TSE3                       sequencer engine (used by Anthem)
ttrk                       MIDI sequencer with a tracker UI
% http://div8.net/ttrk/
vkeybd
Wavesurfer
% http://www.speech.kth.se/wavesurfer/
XPatchWork                 graphical patch editor for Csound
% where original??
% ftp://mustec.bgsu.edu/pub/linux/xpatchwork-linux.tar.gz
% ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/audio/xpatchwork/
XWave
% http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/sound/editors/
ZynAddSubFX                analogue modelling synth
% http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net

asfxload
aube % http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~conradp/aube/
awesfx
bio % notam
broadcast2000
cantor
ceres % notam
clm
cmix
cmt % http://www.ladspa.org/cmt/
cmusic
cynthia % ftp://elvis.musique.umontreal.ca/pub/TclTk/CYN-dist.tar.gz
ecamegapedal
ecasound
ecasound
ecawave
epos
festival
flac
freebirth
freestyle DJ sampler % http://www.york.ac.uk/~ph116/freestyle.html verify
gNoise
gseq
kluppe
kooBase   now Brahms?
ksynth % http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/ksynth.html
kwave % http://fs.spinfo.uni-koeln.de/~kwave/
libfishsound http://www.annodex.net/software/libfishsound/download/libfishsound-0.6.0.tar.gz
lilyPond
mammut % notam
marlin ????
mix % notam
mustaruusu
nex % http://www.tcm.hut.fi/~tilmonen/nex/nex.html
omt % http://www.tcm.hut.fi/~tilmonen/omtdev/ % http://www.tcm.hut.fi/~tilmonen/omtdev/gencode/
osw
pitchtracker pitch notam
ptolemy
rawseq
rTcmix a signal-processing/synthesis environment % http://music.columbia.edu/cmc/RTcmix/
rsynth
siren % http://www.create.ucsb.edu/Siren/ % ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Music/Siren/
skale
SkaleTracker
snack % http://www.speech.kth.se/SNACK/ %% verify url
solfege
sono % notam
soundmangler % http://soundmangler.sourceforge.net
soundtracker % http://www.tu-harburg.de/~semk2104/soundtracker/
speech-tools
sphinx
ss-0.0.2.tar.gz
sted2
tkseq
vsti http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src/ Run a windows vsti plugin as a jack and alsa-seq client
xmuseq
xsynth
yiff % http://wolfpack.twu.net/YIFF/

CLAM - A library for Audio and Music processing and transformation
CLAM Network Editor - A tool to graphically create CLAM based system
SMS Tools - Transformation using Spectral Modelling: sound morphing, voice
genere changes, pitch shifting...
Salto - A Realtime sax/trumpet synthesizer based on CLAM & Spectral Processing
Swinger - A processor to change the swing on an existing music audio (comming
soon with CLAM 0.6.1)
http://www.iua.upf.es/mtg/clam/

 == end ==