[linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 27 11:59:53 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Thomas Charbonnel hat gesagt: // Thomas Charbonnel wrote:

> I recently tested two audio/multimedia oriented linux live cds (namely
> Dyne:bolic 1.2 and Agnula LAM edition), and was rather disapointed to
> see that alsa was only partly shipped on those distributions. The
> alsa-tools and alsa-firmware packages were lacking, which renders some
> cards useless (e.g. the RME hdsp Multiface and Digiface cards need to be
> fed with a binary configuration data file found in alsa-firmware, using
> hdsploader, to be found in alsa-tools - without this operation those
> cards will simply not work).

Also then the Tascam (and maybe some other) USB boxes won't work, as
they also need a firmware plus loader. But then, I think, both
packages to my knowledge ("apt-cache search ...") aren't available in
mainstream Debian as well. Maybe some kind of wishlist bug could be
filed to Debian? But I suppose this was already discussed amongst the
Debian-Alsa Psychos (yes, they call themselves that) so they might
have a reason for not including the packages. I'd like to know it,
though.

At least for the Live-CDs the packages would make an important
addition, as you cannot easily compile them on your own there.

Ciao