[linux-audio-dev] RFC: Disposable Soft Synth Interface

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Thu Apr 29 10:56:29 UTC 2004

Hi,

(cross posting to muse devel)

On Thursday 29 April 2004 11.50, Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Chris Cannam]
>
> >The header file is here:
> >
> >  http://dssi.sourceforge.net/dssi.h.txt
>
> the header looks OK to me, reusing ALSA and LADSPA is a nice idea
> indeed. however i'm a bit uneasy about the configure() method of the
> plugin and its implications. a couple of points:

I have not read the proposal, I really should.. just out of interest.

Anyway, I see ALSA and LADSPA mentioned above and felt I should comment.
The softsynth interface in MusE (MusE Experimental Software Synthesizer -
M.E.S.S) used to have this layout but Werner recently changed it to a native
format.
I think (with emphasis on think, since I don't have the whole picture) that
the reason was among others that this solution does not allow for faster than
realtime execution.

I think (once again, think) MESS has QT dependencies so it would probably not
work as a neutral format but for interested people you can check it out here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/lmuse/muse/synti/

Regards,
Robert