[linux-audio-dev] Re: RFC: Disposable Soft Synth Interface

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Fri Apr 30 16:25:32 UTC 2004

[Jens M Andreasen]
>On tor, 2004-04-29 at 16:11, Chris Cannam wrote:
>> On Thursday 29 Apr 2004 2:19 pm, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>> > I think I will not be really, totally happy before I see something
>> > like:
>> >
>> >   void (*midi_msg)(LADSPA_Handle instance,
>> >                    unsigned byte msg[4]);
>>
>> This would be exactly equivalent to the existing run_synth(), would it
>> not?
>
>Mmm .. This would replace, I think, all of your considerations on how to
>extend LADSPA. It is (probably?) the only extension really needed. MIDI
>is a very powerful protocol, and the beuty is that the client needs only
>to implement those parts it needs to get going.

as i understand it, this is not enough. the run_synth() method allows
you to run the synth for a continuous audio block with [MIDI] events
interspersed at arbitrary timestamps, while with midi_msg() you'd
have to split audio blocks to match event timestamps, which is messy
and performance-unfriendly.

tim