[linux-audio-dev] jamin and FFT filtering

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Tue Aug 10 10:28:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:53:39AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:

> Yep, we have heard this on some material where you have sharp diconnects
> in the gain of adjacent bins, particularly in the low frequencies, it can
> be moderated by increasing the overlap, but I dont really understand why.
> The effect is not often very noticable though.

You don't need sharp discontinuities in the frequency curve in order to
have these pre-ringing or pre-echo effects. Consider the following freq
response:

G = 1 + 0.0116 * cos (2 * PI * f / 100 Hz)

This is a flat response plus a 'ripple' with an amplitude of 0.1 dB and
a period of 100 Hz. For all practical purposes, this a a flat response
that should have no audible effect at all.

Now the inverse FFT of this is an impulse response consisting of a
single impulse at the centre, and two smaller impulses 10 ms before
and after it.

On other words, there will be a pre-echo 10 ms before the signal, at
a level of approx. -42 dB. This is *very* audible.

--
FA