[linux-audio-dev] RE: MIDI groove theory

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 12 00:35:10 UTC 2004

Dave Robillard wrote:

 >Hi all,
 >
 >Does anyone know of a page somewhere that explains just what (on a
 >developer level) MIDI "groove" is?  I want to implement it in a
 >sequencer, but all I can find is user documentation pages with useless
 >information.
 >
 >Is it as simple as each note having a time offset (ie snare is early .5
 >ms, hi-hate late 1ms, etc.) or something more?
 >
 >Thanks..

I think that 'groove quantise' does have quite a specific meaning :
To take the timing from one midi part, and apply it to another.
So, you get the midi timing from a real drummer grooving away and apply
it to your beat. Then it pulls your beats to the nearest beat in the
groove, rather than to the normal 16th or whatever.

I seem to remember having some floppys of grooves back in the atari days
and doing this with midi shaker patterns and the like, but it's been a
long time....