[linux-audio-dev] MIDI groove theory

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 11 07:15:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 03:20:51 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> As I understand MTC, it's just a byte sent so many times a quarter note,
> so I think doing groove this way for all MTC speaking apps would be
> feasible.  (is that ever going to eat MIDI bandwidth though...)

I think thats MIDI clock, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I'm a big fan of MIDI clock, because it plays well with
modular synths (software and hardware), but I think its difficult to sync
to in typical sequencer applications.

> As another related problem I need to make sooperlooper aware of when bar
> divisions are (so looping is accurate and not prone to drift), and I
> don't think MTC is adequate for that..  I think to really take control
> of the entire system's timing a master time app will be needed that
> speaks many different languages (MTC and probably jack transport,
> others?)

I would just speak jack transport, and let specific tools do the jack
transport <-> MTC sync work. Better to have code in just one place.
I rememebr seeing a discussion about MTC<->JACK sync on IRC, or a list, I
think someone was working on it, but I'm not sure if its done. Its not
easy.

> Essentially I just need the best way to sync up seq24 and sooperlooper,
> and get the BPM in to any app (ie synths and effects racks).  Groove
> would be nice though.

Groove should be a feature of individual apps IMHO, it makes sense to
apply it to (say) a drum sequence, but you wouldnt neccesarily want it
applied to bassline sequencing or a delay. Groove is orthogonal to sync;
you can apply one without the other.

- Steve