[linux-audio-dev] MIDI API

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Thu Aug 12 22:34:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 12:54, Hans Fugal wrote:
> This is along the same lines as the recent question about which API to
> use for sound (to which I gave a poor answer; I repent!). What are the
> options for doing MIDI? Is it best to use the ALSA library API, or is
> there something better?

Personally, I've always put everything that isn't alsa-seq and jack
firmly in the category of "things I wish were alsa-seq and jack".

(That's just one man's opinion though - if you care about portability,
maybe portaudio and portmidi would be better choices)

Slightly OT digression:  I always thought Jack MIDI was a really good
idea - sample accurate, less multi-API hassle, goes everywhere jack
goes.  Whatever happened to that?

-DR-