[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] PHAT version 0.2.0

Frank NEUMANN frank.neumann at st.com
Tue Aug 17 08:50:19 UTC 2004

Hi list,
John Check <j4strngs at bitless.net> wrote:

[..]

> > Theoretically your box, specifically your GTK+ version.  That function
> > is defined in GTK+-2.0, but it might not have been introduced until
> > the recent 2.4 release, and you might be running the more popular 2.2.
> > This isn't noted in the developer docs, so I'm not sure.  I'll verify
> > this later today by seeing if I can compile on Fedora Core 1, which is
> > 2.2 based.
> >

> Just FYI, I built that on Debian unstable last night and everything was like
> butter.

Just for the records: Same here (Debian too, with gtk2.4).

But there is one thing about the fanslider I can't understand: If (one of)
the ideas of this widget is to let the user easily select a fine-grained value
from a small widget that consumes little screen estate, why does the fan
cover the numeric value (in an opaque way) when it is opened "over" it?
I know that it might be more costly (CPU-wise) to have semi-transparent
fans, but in the current state I don't see the reason of making a fine
adjustment without seeing the numerical value of what I change (and now
don't suggest to "just open the fan to the opposite direction" :-). Can
some kind of transparency be added? Or maybe even better, can the numerical
value be shown as part of the fan (somewhere in its middle perhaps?)

Is there something I am missing? The idea is quite nice, but I feel like
the concept has not been thought out until the end..

The sliderbutton is *really* nice, by the way. No criticizing there :-).

Greetings,
Frank