[linux-audio-dev] Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Wed Aug 18 00:19:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 16:50, John Check wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 12:53 pm, Ralf Beck wrote:
> >
> > In the comercial windows world, FX-Teleport and VST System Link are doing
> > exactly this.
> >

> Okay, it's good there is a precedent. That means we can probably take the
> business end of dladspa and VST'ify it.

I still say networked audio belongs in jack, not a plugin.

I guess a VST solution existing would suggest otherwise, but personally
I think it's a stupid idea well outside the realm of plugins (especially
LADSPA, which shouldn't be sending things over a network)

Besides, looked at from the perspective of a modular synth (just because
it's an easy example), your patches are going to have to be specifically
set up to be sending crap over the network (ie they'll have to have a
special plugin loaded, and all the audio going into that).  If it was
Jack, everything in every app could be set up just as usual, and it
would be sent over the network by jack, unbeknownst to the app.  IMO
much cleaner and flexible.

-DR-