[linux-audio-dev] ANN: Distributed LADSPA Processing

Nelson Posse Lago lago at that.com.br
Thu Aug 19 15:05:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 18 2004 at 03:22:23pm -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> thats potentially a bit ugly, but in practice, its probably going to
> work, especially with JACK-driven clients/hosts.

That's the idea; in fact, this was mostly triggered by the "but it's
native processing!" text on ardour's site.

> does the metaplugin have a control output port called "latency"?

Not yet, but that's planned; we just have to add up all the "real"
plugin's latencies and the latency inserted by the distributed system.

> >If jack udp transport doesn't work adequately [...]
> jack.rtp is probably a better candidate :)

I believe the uses are different.

DLADSPA was intended to work in a studio to increase the processing
capability of the system and assumes a LAN that won't fail (which is a
very reasonable assumption when your timing requirements are above 1ms).
This means we may keep latencies very low, down to 3ms total in-to-out
latency if the hardware can handle 1ms periods. Something similar would be
useful for jack, opening the possibility of running two instances of
ardour on different machines, for instance.

OTOH, adding rtp to the mix makes a lot of sense if you intend to cross
routers or even WANs, but is much more complicated. Low latency is
probably ruled out, but of course networked audio is very interesting on
its own. But maybe this is trying to reinvent the wheel, given that MAS
already exists...

See ya,
Nelson