[linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee

Fred Gleason fredg at salemradiolabs.com
Sat Aug 21 00:13:22 UTC 2004

On Friday 20 August 2004 16:57, Paul Winkler wrote:

> I don't believe that to be true. It is certainly a large obstacle, but
> there is a minority of working professional engineers who hate
> protools. Some of these folks hate DAWs in general, some of them hate
> protools in particular.  Many of them make a living working on analog
> tape. You'll run into them on rec.audio.pro occasionally.
> I have no idea how many there are.

Let's also not forget that the world of pro audio is larger than just Studio
Engineers.  I personally know a radio operator/announcer who is totally
blind, yet works a full-time airshift on a larger-market station in the US.
Runs his own board, runs the computers.  Has to, cause it's a solo shift.

The market penetration of Protools in the radio broadcast industry is tiny.
Measureable, but *way* below even 10 percent.  It's just too big and complex
for what most radio people need, not to mention the expense.  The tools of
choice in that community right now are CoolEdit/Audition and Vegas (although,
in the last few months, there's been a noticeable quickening of interest in
Audacity as well).

I can also confirm that making a facility 'handicapped accessible' is a big
deal in the US.  I've seen it taken to the point where the local authorities
have made stations totally redesign studio furniture so as to allow
wheelchair access to control positions.  It's not an issue we can afford to
ignore.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|  ...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,    |
|  lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of    |
|  their C programs.                                                      |
|                                            -- Robert Firth              |