[linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Sat Aug 21 01:10:03 UTC 2004

On Friday 20 August 2004 03:48 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> >  I'm writing, because I think, that with one of your points you are
> > wrong. You said, that ecasound and cecilia (and perhaps you also meant
> > fluidsynth, csound...) aren't really interesting to pros. They are SO
> > DAMN Important to a few users (pros and nonpros) and they are specific to
> > linux in their design).
>
> with much respect to julien, and much affection towards ardour/ksi, i
> would point out that its essentially impossible to become a
> professional audio engineer if you are sight-impaired precisely
> because you cannot use protools. catch-22 situation, really.

OT:
City of Long Beach parks dept. sound man back in the 90's had _two_ hearing
aids. I shit you not ;)

> there may be people who are sight-impaired who manage to make a living
> as an audio engineer, but i would guess that i could count them all on
> the fingers of one hand.

It would be a more likely case of a self produced blind musician, but
Ray Charles is dead now (RIP), so we can scratch him off the list of
prospects.

> therefore, i think that john's point is not affected by this
> perspective. ecasound and cecilia are fine apps, and very powerful,
> but their workflow model is completely different to what the people
> who get paid to do audio engineering for a living are used to doing.
> the fact that they are useful (essential!) to some groups of users
> doesn't change the fact that they are not useful to other groups of
> users.
>
> --p

Bingo.
There is a cultural barrier. I like to say "Same shit, different haircut".
This is why I said "somewhat distorted perception of pro audio".
I don't care where you are, as long as there's electricity there's at least
one studio in a converted garage and a sound reenforcement company
run by a guy with a sharpie on a string and a leatherman, dressed in a
T-shirt, black sneakers, gym socks and black shorts.