[linux-audio-dev] Read this after your first cup of coffee

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Sat Aug 21 01:26:25 UTC 2004

On Friday 20 August 2004 04:57 pm, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 03:48:34PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > with much respect to julien, and much affection towards ardour/ksi, i
> > would point out that its essentially impossible to become a
> > professional audio engineer if you are sight-impaired precisely
> > because you cannot use protools. catch-22 situation, really.
>
> I don't believe that to be true. It is certainly a large obstacle, but
> there is a minority of working professional engineers who hate
> protools. Some of these folks hate DAWs in general, some of them hate
> protools in particular.  Many of them make a living working on analog
> tape. You'll run into them on rec.audio.pro occasionally.
> I have no idea how many there are.

Oh boy. There are a _lot_ of reasons why this might be.

1) A big investment in analog.
2) An established client base, so they don't have to compete for bookings.
3) A resistance to learning new things.
4) Got into business early roadieing for burnout friends bands or running PA
in friends bar, thus have more inertia than understanding and are now
coasting.

#1 is one of two scenarios. Either they didn't do due diligence and had
insufficient training before they took the bait on what seemed like a good
deal for outright purchase of "a studio" during the ADAT revolution, _or_ they
collected Class A electronics like analog Neve consoles and RCA ribbon mics
and are "vintage". The latter is at the top of the R&R demo food chain.
There will always be a place for analog until the last roll of mylar has been
baked and transfered to the digital realm and even then tube mic preamps
and mechanical FX will never die.