[linux-audio-dev] mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sat Aug 21 20:41:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 14:45, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 06:35:44PM +0200, Melanie wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it's backwards in a "numerical" sense, in that the numbers increase with
> > one slider type, but decrease with another, using the same command.
> >
> > However, UI designers don't think in numbers, but associations.
> >
> > Left is generally associated with up, right with down, as we read left to
> > right, top to bottom. Therefore, up MUST map to left, down MUST map to
> > right, otherwise, non-mathematically minded people get uttely confused.
>
> I couldn't find anything on the web abou this.
> But I asume the behaviour was thought out for
> scrollbars and transfered to sliders.
>
> With scrollbars scrolling lets say a table, the vertical scrollbar
> has top = start, bottom = end. Horizontal scrollbar left = start,
> right = end. Wheeling up on vertical sliders means scrolling
> toward the vertical start. Wheeling up on the horizontal slider
> should therefor mean scrolling to the horizontal start -> scrolling
> left.

Very interesting.  You are probably correct.

> But there's nothing to scroll with sliders. They're not about
> a position in space.
>
> Today might well have been the first time I used the wheel
> on common sliders, and it felt backwards!

Agreed.  I can understand why Microsoft (and thus QT and GTK) chose to
do it this way, but I bet audio users make MUCH heavier use of sliders
than almost anyone else.  So, an informal survey of Linux audio users is
actually pretty good data.

> Fan-slider wheeling will stay as is, differing from QT and
> GTK sliders. But I doubt the folks behind the toolkits would
> listen and change wheeling direction.

True, no reason to break it for people who are used to the old behavior,
and MS does do extensive usability testing.  However this NEEDS to be
made configurable system-wide.  This way CCRMA and AGNULA (for example)
can ship with the non-default slider behavior if their users prefer it.

Lee