[linux-audio-dev] Re: [off-list] Read this after your first cup of coffee

Luke Yelavich luke at audioslack.com
Sat Aug 21 23:52:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 06:04:00AM EST, John Check wrote:
> > mr boggs doesn't use any aspect of the protools GUI to run
> > protools. he uses outSPOKEN, a speech recognition system, and a JL
> > Cooper control surface. since you could connect this style interfaces to
> > more or less any program, this either suggests that design for the
> > sight-impaired is unnecessary, or that mr. boggs would still be better
> > off with a specially designed, non-GUI system.
> >
> > i still don't understand how mr. boggs could edit using protools in
> > the style that such programs have made rather popular. i have a spent
> > quite a bit of time talking with jeremy hall and others about how we
> > could add editing to ardour/ksi, and my conclusion is that its a
> > research project worthy of at least a master's degree, perhaps even a
> > doctorate.
>
> I question how one without sight would do fine editing unless they had a
> pinblock type device (think braille terminal with a big pin matrix). Could be
> ignorance on my part. It wouldn't be the first time (or the last ;)

Blind/vision impaired people are able to achieve fine editing under Windows,
at least with two programs that I know of, and one of which I have used, and in
fact bought a license for, as I found it so handy, and I indeed still do.

GoldWave has some of the best keystrokes for editing audio, and with this,
one of the best selection and marking systems that is suitable for VIP use.
One can simply use the SHIFT plus left or right arrow keys to select the
start marker of the selection, all the while being able to play from the
marker with a simple key press. For more fine alignment, zooming in and out is
possible with the shift plus up or down arrow keys. For the right marker, one
simply uses the control + shift + left and right arrow keys to position the
right marker, zooming in and out as need be.

SoundForge is capable of doing much the same thing, although I have never
used it, and am going on what I have heard from blind/vision impaired users.
--
Luke Yelavich
http://www.audioslack.com
luke at audioslack.com