[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer

ChristianH chris at scp.de
Tue Aug 24 13:14:40 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm in a similar situation. Within a couple of weeks I'll be buying a
new PC which (besides still running Windows) should be, say, at least
Linux friendly.

Since in this case I'm not tied to given legacy hardware, I'd rather put
in some components that are particularly suitable for Linux.

>From what I heard, culprits can be
- audio card
- graphics card (hi resolution, 1280+, no 3D game capability needed)
- and I assume MIDI interface as well (6 to 8 ports in+out)

Are there cards with rather good Linux driver support?
Are there cards better to avoid in Linux world, due to their poor driver
status?

Is there a Linux hardware FAQ site somewhere, with some recommendations?

Until now I've been using an Emagic AW8 audio card, which perfectly fits
my needs (don't really need 24/96k or oodles of audio ports).
For Windows I was considering an Emagic AMT8 or Unitor8 interface, but I
don't remember seeing any Linux drivers on their site (well, they may
call'em OS X drivers... ;-)

Another component may be somewhat outside this list's topics, I'm
thinking of adding a video MPEG input/encoder card as well - maybe somebody
can give me any pointers on that...?

regards
Chris