[linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Tue Aug 24 19:25:17 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 06:38 am, mark at kfm.co.za wrote:
> Hi my name is Mark and I have been a silent member for two
> years - having very little experience with the in's and out's of
> Linux. For many years I have blindly believed that Linux is the
> way to go - more because of the concept of Open Source which
> ties in exactly with my own belief structure. I have supported
> linux for years in the form of mail servers but my own knowing
> has been lacking. Recently ( 2 months ago ) I reinstalled all my
> systems without the comfort of partitioned disks and windows as
> a safety net. To date I have re-installed my system close to ten
> times. I am only now realizing that I may have a hdd problem or
> hardware in general - although no errors are evident. I have a life
> long ambition to make sound - to generate ecstacy - to move

Hey now!

> energy - to drown people - to open portals of thought and
> recreation to fly - to dream - to enlight.  In reality I am stuck with
> my finger on the reset button.
>
> My setup - P4 - 256 ram - Slackware 10.0 - linux 2.6.7 -
>
> My problem as an end user - is limitless - while the discussion
> group handles issues like left or right up or down this or that it
> seems as if you all live in Utopia with perfect systems. My
> problems as a beginner are endless.
>
> My linux thought is that the main difference between linux and
> windows is that under windows everything is packaged i.e. that
> one installation will actually get that desired product to work -
> while under linux a lot more time is spent on finding the correct
> patches mixes matches reading than end time using/producing.

"patch" in what sense? Also, package has some subtleties.

The ultimate package of course is one you just plug in and turn on.

Really, if you buy software anyway, the "right thing to do" is support
development by patronizing what ever business structure we have as
individuals. Lot's of us are legimate business entities because at least in
the US you pretty much have to do consulting sooner or later.

At the risk of being flamed for spamming: ;)
If I'm not mistaken the ardour folks can deliver a turnkey DAW for the cost
hardware & installation plus shipping.

> Obviously linux has flexibility power stability way beyond the
> confines of windows or mac but it is the tieing up of those 'loose
> ends'  which make it easier for a new user to get going that make
> the ultimate difference. While windows users have licence issues
> some linux users have other.

What you say is true, but there is more work involved in providing a package
for every linux distribution.
Windows software normally has OS kernel requirements (XP or better, only up to
win98 and so on). I'm not saying it's necessarily better that you are more
likely able to run whatever program on a less than stock or bone stock linux.
It's more like there's not a lot of incentive to roll a package once you have
something installed, vs commercial software, where somebody has to do the
dull part before they can go home.

> It matters little to me if one program does something in one way
> as opposed to a different way in a different program - i.e. each
> program is unique unto itself and should be learnt seperately. My
> problem in this area has been to get them to work together or
> through each other with results.

I don't know if you're talking about hardware or software, but I saw a beta of
a very cool bootable CD music workstation called m-dist

http://www/plus24.com/m-dist

It didn't support  USB mouse due to an omission in the version from 2 weeks
ago, but it doesn't get any simpler than that.