[linux-audio-dev] Hello - FYI - intro

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Tue Aug 24 22:35:12 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 05:34 pm, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 04:52:05PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:41:17PM -0400, John Check wrote:
> > > And how long does that take vs apt-get update && apt-get dist upgrade?
> > > Take all the milliseconds you shave with flags and deduct 'em from the
> > > build time and pig-dog slowness of a package management system that
> > > runs on an interpreter,
> >
> > Them's fightin' words :-P
> > I've never found the "pig-dog slowness" of portage to be significant
> > whatsoever.  It's completely dwarfed by
>
> ... i meant to finish that line :-)
> It's completely dwarfed by compile time.

Are you sure you wanted to say that ;)

> The main inconvenience of gentoo that I've noticed is that
> I've had to train myself not to do upgrades right before I want
> to do some work :-)

Hey, I loved it when I was using it, especially being able to have the package
system know about CVS builds, but what killed it for me was; I did exactly
that, then like a dumbass did it one last time when it finished, figuring
"what the hell, there couldn't be any more major updates". Wrong - one the
updates in the batch that took 2 days to build got rolled back, and since
there's no binaries, I had to spend another day rolling it back. It wasn't
the first time either. If you have a build host and a bunch of homogenous
hosts, it's great. IMO with a single host, even on really fast hardware it's
on the wrong side of the law of diminishing returns. Then again, I'll have to
check that when I get some really fast hardware :P