[linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

martin rumori lists at rumori.de
Tue Aug 31 19:43:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 02:46:13PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> I was wondering about this the other day - is there no OSC 'standard'
> for how to declare note-ons, offs, etc?
>
> If OSC really is to become a MIDI replacement, there's needs to be an
> explicitly defined standard that says "this is how a note is triggered"

AFAIK in the beginning it was never meant as a midi replacement, but
should -in opposite to midi- not make any assumptions on the musical
meaning of the data being sent.  especially in the field of new music
or sound art, MIDI is next to completely irrelevant as carrier for
musical data (but is still used for control data like sensor stuff
etc, since you can build such a thing with a small pic uC).

however, an "official" way of encapsulating midi in osc would maybe
push especially some commercial developers to osc, but i guess the
CNMAT folks don't want to have it in their official spec.

bests,

martin