[linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Thu Dec 2 02:32:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 19:54, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 01:52, Jan Depner wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 20:15, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> >    I would like nothing better than to switch to an open source driver
> > for exactly the reason you set forth.
>
> If you need max performance then you have no choice. But for linux audio
> it would be probably better to check out cards that are still available
> and do have oss drivers and then recommend those. I believe that there
> are some old radeon cards with passive coolers(isn't that what we, linux
> audio users want ;) that do have oss drivers because ATI does provide
> specs for their older cards(if they are still in production). At least
> AFAIK, please correct me if i'm wrong.

That's what I'm doing, I'm using cards based on the radeon 9200 chipset,
without cooling fans (I believe that acceleration is supported in the
open source drivers till the 9250 chipset). But, as you said, I don't
need the fastest graphics performance and I have to have quiet
computers...

-- Fernando