[linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Dec 2 02:49:32 UTC 2004

>Oh sure they can, as it was the case with iriver.
>2 years ago their forums were full of hatefilled msgs just because
>people demanded ogg vorbis and were ignored.(or at least it seemed so,
>no response from iriver).

there's no proof that it was hate-filled messages that convinced
iriver of anything. there were plenty of behind-the-scenes and on-list
messages that were not full of invective.

>>  all we can say is that they
>> have a different perspective on the world than we do.
>
>Paul, honestly. I can't explain why they haven't even *tried* to install
>linux with jack and ardour. If i were them i'd at *least* track the

You have inadequate knowledge of the history here Marek. RME were
actually very keen on demoing Ardour 4 years ago! They wanted to show
it at trade shows. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure why
they might be less inclined to spend time on it these days.

>can't do otherwise ;) And in such case, they'd probably deliver an alsa
>driver for fireface, fireface2, whatever themselves pretty quickly.
>And i'd be also interested in how many units were sold due to alsa.If i
>were them. If i were them i'd want every customer no matter what.

You continue to ignore the perfectly understandable (not necessarily
correct, but understandable) concern that "every customer no matter
what" doesn't deal with the fact that an open source driver might, for
the fireface, make copycat technology (from behringer or wherever) so
much easier to implement that there would be a net loss of customers.

Yes, they can't prove that it will, and you can't prove that it
won't. So there's nothing more to say there.

>There's them, companies striving for higher revenues. There's us, paying
>customers.

Paying customers who will gladly pay less for the same technology. So
if a company takes steps that lead to other company's being able to
offer the same for less, they might regret those steps. Its never as
simple as black+white, yes+no, true+false.

Oh, and for the record, I purchased my own digi9652, was given an
updated digi9652, along with an hdsp PCI card and digiface, and i
later purchased my own pcmcia interface. I also get dealer pricing on
RME equipment.

--p