[linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Dec 2 15:14:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 23:58, Dave Robillard wrote:

> I'm not being overly pessimistic, you just havn't put an ounce of
> thought into the problem at all.  And anyway, Linux has already been
> somewhat "destroyed" in a way, since it's (apparently) impossible to
> have a completely open source system with modern 3D acceleration.
> What's next?  video cards?  network cards?  chipsets?  sound cards?  the
> entire computer?  How about sounds cards.. maybe this trend will catch
> on and there won't be any professional quality sound cards available
> that work in Linux at all..  then Linux is completely useless as an
> audio platform.  Sounds pretty destroyed to me.

    I've put way more than an ounce of thought into the problem.  I've
been a scientific applications programmer and system administrator for
27 years.  That's not counting high school or college.  I'm the major
reason that my organization is using Linux.  My reputation is on the
line over this so I've given it a hell of a lot of thought.

> If things keep going the way you seem to think is perfectly fine, the
> whole damn kernel will be proprietary.  I've said it before and I'll say
> it again - we already have a totally closed, single architechture, buggy
> POS operating system.  Why must you advocate turning Linux into one too?

    Obviously losing your grasp on reality here - Linux is GPLed.  You
can't make it proprietary.

> In a couple years, when those 200 linux systems are absolutely useless
> because Nvidia doesn't care about you anymore, maybe then you'll learn.

    In a couple of years those Linux systems will be obsolete as all
computer systems are in a couple of years.  Don't worry, as Linux
continues to gain ground you'll see more and more companies jumping on
the bandwagon.  I think you just want everything now - you must be
fairly young.

> When (not if) that happens, and you have a pile of video cards you
> probably payed over $4000 for that are good for absolutely nothing, fire
> me an email and let me know what you think of proprietary drivers.
>
> Of course, if it was to happen soon and your employer loses a couple
> thousand dollars because of your choice, I guess you'll have more
> important things to worry about than continuing this conversation -
> like, say, finding a new job.

    As I said before, in a couple of years those systems will be
obsolete as will the video cards.  Also, if my employer goes under we're
all in trouble - I work for the US Department of Defense ;-)

Jan