[linux-audio-dev] Re: jack, low latency and IO

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Tue Dec 7 22:39:46 UTC 2004

On tis, 2004-12-07 at 16:49 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 22:33 +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > The mouse-down, mouse-dragged signals (and friends) fits within realtime
> > constraints. It is the 'do_running_fading_ink_repaint()' (or whatever)
> > that you need to keep low priority, albeit probably above Mozilla
> > repainting some nasty ads on its current page.
> >

> FWIW, none of the OSX systems I have used handle this well at all.
> Flash ads running in a background mozilla window will steal excessive
> CPU from the Pro Tools (or DP or whatever) GUI.  Of course the audio is
> not affected, just the GUI.

Mmm .. So Pro Tools are not upping their GUI even the slightliest by
default. To be honest neither do I, just shut down whatever gets in the
way.

In a serious OSX studio environment (as in pay money for time), the
machines running the session would not (hopefully not?) be connected to
the Internet anyway.

> This seems to work OK on Windows, probably due to the "feature" where it
> boosts the priority of the foreground window.

Yep, that system appears to solve some common problems in a
straightforward way.

> Lee

/jens

--
BTW: Anybody knows how to stop Evolution from inserting my email-adress
as a default auto-generated signature?