[linux-audio-dev] Patents on some Linux OS code

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed Dec 8 16:17:33 UTC 2004

The keyword here is *could*. It is an empty threat.

1) There is currently no valid patent issues with Linux. So there is no
issues to be resolved either.

2) If such an issue should be discovered, Novell will back up the Linux
side with their patent-portfolio, which (cough) *could* (cough) be an
expensive experience for the attacker.

3) Microsoft can't sue Singapore. They will have to get the US
government to do it for them, and then let WTO sort it out. And before
that they will have to force Singapore into thinking that SW-patents is
a neat idea. And then, although US might have the best government money
can buy, MS is still not the only kid in town with deep pockets.

4) The end user is not responsible for what patent issues the producer
might get involved with.

So in short: Relax!

--

   (