[linux-audio-dev] ssm2

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Thu Dec 9 06:02:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-12 at 16:43 +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:41:24 +0100, Mario Lang wrote
> > Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > > I'm pretty sure someone else is working on something like this, OSC driven
> > > UI, modules as LADSPA plugins, cant remeber the name though.
> >
> > Its called Om, and AFAIK maintained by drobilla on #lad.
> >
> > It has a very cool design, UI agnostic and all.  Go Om, go!
>
> yep, checking it out now - is the osc communication documented anywhere?
>
> cheers,
>
> dave

No, not yet.  It's final exam time here, so I won't be able to do any
work on Om for 3 weeks or so.  Hoping for a release in January.  I've
intentionally not mentioned it on LAD yet to avoid the vapourware effect
- Om is not ready for casual users yet.  Please don't mention it on LAU.
Please. :)

The version in CVS right now isn't polyphonic and there's no subpatching
yet, for the record - but both will be trivial to get working (polyphony
has already worked in the past, just not right now).  It is, however,
exactly what you described - an OSC controlled LADSPA modular synth,
with a focus on live performance (and being a proper realtime jack
client), and it works right now.  Sometimes. ;)

Obligatory outdated screenshot that says nothing about the program
whatsoever can be found here:
http://www.scs.carleton.ca/~drobilla/om.png

(Any #lad-ers around, feel free to front questions about Om if this
thread lives on - I'm way too busy to keep on top of LAD right now.)

If you really wish to see the OSC communication, the top of
src/engine/OSCReceiver.cpp has all the OSC callback registrations in one
nice little chunk of easily readable code.  Many of the commands are
just random placeholders with no thought put into them whatsoever
though. :)  I would like to clean up the protocol before release though,
so any input there is much appreciated.

I'll get around to creating a mailing list Real Soon Now(TM), promise.

--

-DR-

P.S. If anyone checks out the code, yes, the console client is broken
ATM.