[linux-audio-dev] rosegarden, alsa_seq and usx2y rawusb

Uwe Koloska lad at koloro.de
Sun Dec 12 22:44:00 UTC 2004

Hello,

have now figured out how to drive my audio and midi with tascam us-122 on SuSE
9.2 -- and (after disabling all tv thingies) it works very reliable and with
very few xruns.

The following software seems to be involved:
- linux-2.6.8-24.3 (SuSE Standard kernel -- heavily patched)
  patched with linux-2.6.8-24-usx2y-0.8.6.patch from rncbc
  (CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ=n)
- realtime-lsm-0.8.5
- ruis jack
  jack-0.99.21.1usx2y-17.suse92
- qjackctl-0.2.13-1
- rosegarden4-0.9.9-2
- ZynAddSubFX-1.4.3-141

With this configuration I have found a weird problem:
When starting jack with driver 'alsa' (from qjackctl) I am able to play my
alsa instruments (for example ZynAddSubFX) from within rosegarden:
- start ZynAddSubFX
- start rosegarden
- choose ZynAddSubFX for the active track
- play the keyboard an listen to nice ZynAddSubFX sounds ...

But when starting jack with driver 'usx2y' the midi seems not to arrive at
ZynAddSubFX (or Hydrogen or fluidsynth or ...) Even ASeqView doesn't show any
incoming events if chosen as instrument in rosegarden.

Restarting jack with driver alsa -- and all went well ...

What is the problem?  And what can I do to help with this problem?

Are there any missing facts?

Yours
Uwe Koloska