[linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: Graphical dataflow programs violate patents]

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Wed Dec 15 05:11:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-14-12 at 10:59 +0100, Xavier Amatriain wrote:
> [...]

Om, a modular synth I'm working on, absolutely "infringes" on that
patent as well.  The code that would be considered infringing is an
elementary graph-traversal, very similar to a DFS (depth-first search)
algorithm you'd learn in any second-year computer science program.  No
kidding you can't execute a node if it's dependencies aren't run!
Geeze..

I'm Canadian, so I'm not sure if America's BS applies, but I'm hardly
worried.  What's next, getting sued for infringing on a patent for "a
method of executing sequential lines of code"?  Or perhaps evaluating
(2+3)*4 correctly?

There's absolutely no way that someone can't find prior art for this.
It's completely frivolous.

-DR-