[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Fwd: Graphical dataflow programs violate patents]

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Wed Dec 15 12:30:09 UTC 2004

>From: Xavier Amatriain <xamat at iua.upf.es>
>
>> I read that National Circuits sued and won a case against Mathworks for
>> their Simulink product infringing a number of paterns (September this
>> year).

The first patent should expire soon as their software Labview
was launched 1986. It contains some essential items.

I collected papers on this topic recently. In Labview user creates
the circuit editor and the control panel. Both existed alone
earlier. Labview includes special GUI elements in the circuit
(see Reaktor, for example). I'm in belief that this connection
can be done slightly differently without violating the patent.

When Csound type software was first written? 1960? 70?

There are other Labview patents. One patent patents what I have
invented prior them. I remember posting it to a mailing list, but
have not yet found it. I have not read the patent but my idea
was that when the module is a subgraph, a click on the module
opens up a graph editor; and when the module is a script, a click
on the module opens up a text editor. Obvious?

Juhana