[linux-audio-dev] Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

Paul Brossier piem-lists at altern.org
Fri Dec 17 17:16:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 04:18:15PM +0100, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> Unfortunately Manuel Op de Coul, the author of Scala
> (http://www.xs4all.nl/~huygensf/scala/), currently does not
> want to change his non-commercial license ("perhaps in the
> future"). But he made this offer: "However if someone makes a
> Debian package for it, I'll be happy to distribute it."

will having a debian package for it make him change his mind
about the licensing ? the project looks interesting, but as it is
there is no point for the debian project to have it, even in
non-free.

"Scala is freeware without warranty and may not be sold,
modified, or distributed for sale in combination with commercial
products. It may only be distributed as one package containing
all the files mentioned here and for free."

Apart from the 'without warranty' the whole text clashes at least
with DFSG #1, 3 and 4. see #10 for ideas for example licenses.
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

and fyi, there is a procedure that does just this: see RFP at
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1

bye, paul