[linux-audio-dev] Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Sat Dec 18 21:44:15 UTC 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 10:20 am, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-17-12 at 15:28 -0500, John Check wrote:
> > >
> > > oh well, without (!) the source code there is no point anyway...
> >
> > Nah, nobody is interested in running the app, just dickering about
> > licensing...
> > Frankly, I _really_ don't think there's room for elitism coming from LAU
> > because non-free software currently kicks our asses up and down the
> > street as far as functionality goes.  What's good to advance the cause is
> > good apps. The source doesn't matter.  Hell, I'd pay a dollar not to hear
> > such silliness before I'd complain about gratis-ware
>
> Correction:  What's good to advance YOUR personal cause is good apps.

pWn3d

> The source doesn't matter to YOU.

Source of the apps, not source code. All of the good things about free
software are not constants that apply in every case or context.
It's the fact's Jack, for most people source code is worth bupkis. Just
because we happen to not be most people does not invalidate that.

Linux as an audio platform is about the _runtime_. Linux audio _development_
is about the source code. Not everybody can or is willing to do both; it's a
barrier to adoption. I don't apologize for trying to reap some reward from
helping others over the barriers.

> Not everyone's standards/opinions are the same as yours.

That's a fair statement, but you telling me what my opinion is and what
matters to me is not having the effect you intended. If you want to walk the
altruism walk, you do IIRC, have the skills to fix what you see as evil. If
it's not a problem for you, we're in analogous situations. I have a hard time
believing Andreas' statement is coming from a need to audit every line of
code on his system. It makes sense in the context of being in the official
Debian pool, but barring a misinterpretation somewhere along the line that
wasn't the context.