[linux-audio-dev] Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Sun Dec 19 04:48:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 01:46, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 10:20:44AM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > Not everyone's standards/opinions are the same as yours.
>
> And not everyone's credits are the same as yours.
>
> Did you ever have a close look at Scala ? It's one of those
> rare apps that show off a level of dedication and quality
> that's hard to find. It has probably taken years of hard
> work and painstaking research.

No disagreement about that.

> If the author of such a great work makes it available for
> free, I can only say 'thanks a lot'.
>
> If ever you contribute anything that reaches only ten percent
> of the value of Scala, then maybe you will have gained a bit
> of the authority required to question the author's choices.
> Until that time, you will just make a fool of yourself by
> doing so.

I think there are two types of contribution, application
contribution(free as in beer) and source code contribution(free as in
speech). While Scala falls into the first category, AFAIK Dave is an
active open source contributor.

OTOH, how do you measure the value of Scala or any other application?
Is it determined by popularity?

> And if Debian wants to preserve its (her ? his ?) virginity by
> imposing strict rules on what will be included and what will
> not be, that's fine for me. But please don't impose the same
> attitude on the whole world.

I don't think it was Daves intention to rant on the authors decision to
not release source code. He was trying to point out some of the
motivations behind open source that some of us seem to forget.

Marek