[linux-audio-dev] Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Sun Dec 19 16:32:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 12:45, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 03:15:51AM +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>
> > I have studied scales from apart the world since I was a teenager.
>
> Great ! Do you make the results of your efforts available somewhere ?

Now you're imposing the same kind of attitude on Jens. ;)

> > That (Scala) package reveals *nada* that isn't already well known.
>
> If you have some pointers to similar packages, please share them
> with us.

I think this isn't the point. The point is, that even if the application
itself is free as in beer, you may encounter problems when trying to run
it, like:
./scala: error while loading shared libraries: libgnarl-3.4.so: cannot
The closed source model just isn't flexible enough in the open source
world since more technically capable users are not allowed to fix such
problems on their own and contribute by sending back.
With windows you always get one and the same OS which is governed by one
company, so a closed source model is more likely to work under such
conditions.
Once such application becomes unmaintained, there's little or no hope
for using it any further if the source code isn't available.
There are too many dependencies, too many libraries that advance each
day  in terms of code and version numbers, and too many configurations,
combinations thereof, which means that a closed source model isn't
feasible under linux at all.

Marek