[linux-audio-dev] Request/Offer: Debian package for Scala

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Sun Dec 19 19:45:43 UTC 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 08:31 pm, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 22:44, John Check wrote:

> > > Correction:  What's good to advance YOUR personal cause is good apps.
> >
> > pWn3d
> >
> > > The source doesn't matter to YOU.
> >
> > Source of the apps, not source code. All of the good things about free
> > software are not constants that apply in every case or context.
> > It's the fact's Jack, for most people source code is worth bupkis.
>
> Simply because they are not aware of the idea of open source at
> all(people that use other operating systems).
> Open source is about flexibility, control, trust, quality and eternal
> life of your favorite application. You should care even if you don't
> know how to code at all.

Another person that knows what I care about? Look, my OSS credentials are
impeccable and my dedication to doing what I think is right is certifiably
uncontestable.
I'm a stickler for abiding by the copyright holders terms "." It _ALL_
rests on respect for the copyright holders terms. You want respect you gotta
give respect, but you gotta stand up for it to earn it as well.

A) This is Linux Audio list not EFF. The S/N ratio here sucks as it is. (oh
sweet irony)
B) The GPL is not the be all end all ideal of licenses.
C) We don't, nor will we ever live in an ideal world.

The above is my official statement with regard to any further challenges to my
moral standing.
My point all along in the discussion is: Don't challenge the license because
it's not your business, it's the authors. You can knock down the code, the
runtime, or the spit shine on the guy's mother's army shoes for all I care,
but it's the height of hypocrisy to disrespect the copyright holders
distribution terms.

> > Linux as an audio platform is about the _runtime_. Linux audio
> > _development_ is about the source code.
>
> Not really, it's both about sourcecode and runtime. That's the main
> difference.

Well then you just cut off a large potential user base. How that serves to
spread the gospel must be counter intuitive. Why don't you make an official
statement and post a link, because people want to know.

> > If you want to walk the
> > altruism walk, you do IIRC, have the skills to fix what you see as evil.

*crickets*
*tumbleweed*
*coyote*

> > I have a hard time
> > believing Andreas' statement is coming from a need to audit every line of
> > code on his system.
>
> You don't need to audit it as long as you have the source code itself.

Guy, I don't need the source code. I really don't. You may, but I don't.
Sometimes I want to see it. Sometimes I need it to make a binary because there
is no other option. I like the option of having it available. Sometimes
I even poke it with a stick and let the author know if any  maggots fall out,
but it's not a requirement. If a prog sounds interesting, I want to spend
most of the introduction time running the code to see if it's even worth
taking the time to download the source.

I say I don't care about access to the source code, which is the developers
melieu, you say you don't care about the runtime, which is the users melieu.
It's two sides of the same coin, so let's all just do what we gotta do
instead of going around in circles.