MID vs MOD - WAS : Re: [linux-audio-dev] ".mid" files playing in Linux games

drclaw at dogsolitude.org drclaw at dogsolitude.org
Mon Feb 2 15:54:47 UTC 2004

Well, from the initial reading, it sounded like the author of this game
wanted to embed a software synthesizer into his game to play the tunes.
In that case I figured that unless he could find some really nice engine
for producing realistic piano tunes, libmikmod or timidity (with bundled
samples) would be fine and take less processing power than a physical
modelling software synthesizer or something.  It didn't sound to me like
he was intending on using general MIDI (which gave me an extrememly
biased view of MIDI as a whole until I started collecting controllers
and rack gear myself... ;P).

Cheers,

784 - Michael C. Piantedosi - drclaw at dogsolitude.org