MID vs MOD - WAS : Re: [linux-audio-dev] ".mid" files playing in Linux games

Dominic Genest Dominic.Genest.1 at ulaval.ca
Mon Feb 2 15:48:16 UTC 2004

> > It's a bit
> >like the difference between LaTeX and Word. Midi files describe the
> > intention of the composer, not the extension. The one who listens to the
> > music will choose to pay or not for a quality playback. And he might even
> > be able to make it sound better than the composer has ever heard it.
>
> I'm not sure MIDI or MOD makes any difference to the composer's
> intention, [...]

I'm not sure we're using the same the meaning of the word "intention".
Extension :  The state of a work that is more directly interpretable by human
senses.
Intension : A state in which the word is rather closer to the idea behind, and
which still needs to be processed before one can have the sensible
experience.

Example #1 :
"The musical scores of J.S. Bach's well tempered clavier" are more
INTENTION-oriented. One of many possible extensions of this could be "Glen
Gould's CD record of J.S Bach's well tempered clavier".

Example #2 :
Intention : The text : "An apple" (.TXT file) .
Extension : The drawing of an apple in GIF format.

I just wanted to point out that one important difference between MIDI and
other sound formats brings out debates that are very similar to LaTeX vs DOC,
or many other file formats paradigms.

Thus, I would not say that MOD is the right choice if you need to have quality
playback. I would rather say that MOD is the right choice if you need to be
in total control of how it will sound everywhere.

Besides, purists will argue that the "cheap sound card output" could be a test
to determine whether music is art or just candy. Remember some video games
music on old consoles. There were many songs that were played on very cheap
triangular waves or stuff like that, and they were so good that now (mostly
japanese) people do orchestrations of those old video games songs. Not
surprising they were often inspired from great classical composers (Dragon
Warrior 1 theme is probably inspired from Debussy's "Passepied" !).

Dom

--
Dominic Genest
Étudiant 3e cycle