[linux-audio-dev] Modular Jack patch bay

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Mon Feb 2 16:46:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 04:16, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:37:32 -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > Screenshot:
> > http://chat.carleton.ca/~drobilla/patchbay.png
>
> Hey nice! antialiased too :)

Antialiased?  Heck, the connections are translucent, true story - you
can read right through 'em.  I hardly believe it myself. :)

> > Any interface ideas (other than the color of the modules ;) ) are
> > welcome... and if anyone has ideas for an elegant
> > automatic-module-placement solution, I'd love to hear them.  Right now
> > they're just randomly placed.  (Are there known algorithms in graph
> > theory for this sort of thing?)
>
> Yeah, there is, try citeseer or maybe the dot people have something?
> http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/refs.html

Already made tools are even better.  I'll look into it.

> The problem you will find is hat most gaph algorithms dont care about
> consitency of positioning between graph changes (eg. adding a new client),
> but you could have an "organise" button to hit if it gets messy.

I guess it could be an option (reorganize the whole graph when a module
is added or just place the new one as best you can)..