[linux-audio-dev] Software with source code?

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Mon Feb 2 19:53:06 UTC 2004

Hello.

I have partially lost the track on the latest audio and graphics
development. Even I'm on 50+ mailing lists, the whole picture is
blurry.

So, I'm making a list of software which comes with source code.
The list is intended more to developers who are looking for
example codes, library codes, and projects to join.

An unfinished list follows. The list format is simple: name and
description. That is because one must be able to read the list
through line-by-line without getting bored to details.
Maybe later I will fill in the details: what re-usable gizmos
the software have (filters, drawing algorithms, etc).

Regards,
Juhana

Audio and graphics applications
===============================
               with source code
                 for developers

Audio
-----

ac3filter                  AC3 decoder
Alsa                       audio device drivers
AlsaModularSynth (AMS)     modular synth
AlsaPlayer
Anthem                     multitrack sequencer
Aqsis                      Renderman renderer
Ardour                     multitrack editor (and sequencer?)
Audacity                   multitrack editor
Audiality
audiofile
awesfx
bacterium
Brahms
cdparanoia
Cecilia                    graphical front end for Csound
Csound                     modular synth
Ecasound
FluidSynth                 SoundFont synth
gAlan                      modular synth
gdam
Glame
gmorgan                    rhythm station, a pattern sequencer
gmurf
Gnomoradio                 a peer-to-peer music playing system
Gramofile
Horgand                    FM synth
Hydrogen
JACK
JACK-Rack
Jamin                      mastering tool
Jazz
jMax
libsndfile
mffmtimescale
MusE                       multitrack audio and MIDI sequencer
NoteEdit                   score editor
OpenAL                     library for managing 3D spatialized audio devices
OpenMusic
PortAudio
PureData (PD)
Q/Q-Audio/Q-Midi
Rezound
Rosegarden                 multitrack audio and MIDI sequencer
seq24                      pattern sequencer
solfege
sooperlooper
SoundFontCombi (SFC)       MIDI router
Specimen                   sampling synth
SpiralLoop
SpiralSynthModular (SSM)   modular synth
Supercollider
Swami
Sweep                      audio editor
swh-plugins                effect plugin collection
tapiir
TerminatorX
TimeMachine
timidity                   sampling synth with SoundFont support
TSE3                       sequencer engine (used by Anthem)
ZynAddSubFX                analog modelling synth

CheeseTracker?
LilyPond?
Multitrack?
Skale?
SoundTracker?
Ptolemy?

Graphics
--------

Ayam              3D modeller
Aztec
Blender
CinePaint
ClanLib           3D game library
Coin              3D graphics library with Open Inventor API
Crystal Space     3D game library
dia
Dore
DRI
Effectv
ewave             3D modeller
FOX               toolkit for developing GUIs, with OpenGL widgets
Freeman
FreeType          font rendering library
GIMP
Glade
glaraocr
Glide             graphics library for 3Dfx Voodoo based cards
gman
gmone
GNetLibrary
GNUPlot           scientific plotting
gocr (jocr)
Gozer             text rendering library
Imlib
Impress
imtools
Innovation3D      3D modeller
jpegsrc
K3D               3D modeller
kpovmodeler
libart
LibGLE            OpenGL tubing and extrusion library
LibGNetwork
libgnomecanvas
libpng
LibSolid
Mesa
MeshIO            library for loading 3D model files, 3DS format
Nebuladevice
MindsEye
Moonlight
Mops (ayam?)
Ogre
OpenEXR
Open Inventor     3D graphics library
OpenRM
Open Scene Graph
OpenSG
Pango             text rendering library
Panorama
Pixelize          pixelizes an image using other images as pixels
Pixie
PLIB
PLplot            scientific plotting
POV-Ray
Prettypoly
qcad
Radiance
Renderpark
Rise
SDL
SGL
SIPP              polygon renderer
Sketch
smpeg
Sodipodi
SuperZoom
tgif
Threedom (3dom?)  3D modeller
tiff
UGS3D
Vertex            3D modeller
Vreng             networked virtual 3D world engine
VR Juggler
VTK               3D visualization library, OpenGL based
xcircuit          circuit schematics drawing program
xfig
XFree86
Xine              video player
Xite