[linux-audio-dev] Ecasound question

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi
Tue Feb 3 16:29:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:

> I've been trying to use ecasound for multitrack recording with
> a Terratec EWS88MT. This card does not present the same number
> of capture and playback channels (12/10 or 10/12, I always forget
> since I'm only interested in the first 8 of each). Apparently,
> ecasound trips over this - whatever number of channels I try,
> the reply is always that the 'channel count is not available'
> or something similar. Is there an easy solution for this ?

Try:

ecasound -f:32,12,44100 -i alsa,hw:0 -f:32,10,44100 -o alsa,hw:0

... it should work with all ice1712 cards (I have one myself).

The ALSA plugin layer might be (nowadays) able to do the necessary
channel conversions automatically so you could only access 8ch (or
whatever less than 10/12). To try this, replace "alsa,hw:0" with
"alsa,default" or some other ALSA PCM plugin name.

> Second question: how do I connect an ecasound chain to a specific
> channel of my card ? There seems not to be any way to specify this.

Two alternatives:

1) Connect to multiple chains, and then copy/move/mute channels:

ecasound -a:1,2 -f:32,14,44100 -i alsa \
         -a:1 -f:32,1,44100 -o foo_ch1.wav \
         -a:2 -erc:7,1 -f:32,1,44100 -o foo_ch7.ch

... '-erc:src,dst' copies from channel to channel.

2) Use JACK

This allows for more flexibility (you can have each Ecasound chain
connected to different JACK port).

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!