[linux-audio-dev] Software with source code?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Feb 3 17:05:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 04:53:06PM +0100, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:32:36PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> >Er, yes. I think this can be left up to the submitters discression.
> >eg. http://freshmeat.net/projects/sweep/
> >looking at that I guess you would want
> >required-package and recommended-package being sub-properties of depends-on
>
> I know the Debian system handles recommended/suggested/needed etc. dependencies
> pretty well, we could have a peek at whats happening there :)

It would be nice to provide app authors or packagers with a trivial way
to update the page when they release packages.
A lot of the information we want (release date,
version, dependencies...) is already in RPM spec files,
debian control files, and gentoo ebuild files - we should leverage
that work.

<thinking mode="out loud">

Maybe it would be possible to write a script that can be run on a
linux box and remotely update the soundapps page with all available
info on installed apps (when they are newer than existing ones).
I could ask Agnula, planet-ccrma, et al. to run these scripts in a
cron job from a box that has most/all of their stuff installed.
That would be pretty nifty.

</thinking>

While I'm at it, another entry for each resource could list
distributions and meta-distributions that provide it.
It might be nice to know "Does the Planet have an RPM for this?"

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com