[linux-audio-dev] Software with source code?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Feb 3 22:06:12 UTC 2004

(I'm moving this to linux-audio-user where the rest of this
discussion has been held. Please direct replies there)

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:17:45PM +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> At the risk of being pedantic, what is wrong with the sound/audio section of
> freshmeat?

A good question. At first glance not much.
But I do have the following gripes, and maybe some more
I haven't thought of yet ;-)

* Somewhat lacking in categories for audio/music apps.
As far as I can tell, submitters cannot influence what categories
their app should go in.

* You have to be logged in to submit anything.
In a smaller community, I think we can relax this requirement,
especially since admins will be able to undo any malicious changes.

* No source code available to the freshmeat software. (see the FAQ.)
I plan to make all my stuff open source.

* Freshmeat will probably never do cool stuff like automatically
track releases in the audio-specific distros.

* Freshmeat rejects "trivial" submissions. I can understand the reasoning,
but I don't agree with this. http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/198/

* Freshmeat is too large and too general.
It doesn't give me warm fuzzy LAD/LAU community feelings.

* Banner ads. Fooey.

And finally...

* They don't have a logo with a cute penguin wearing headphones.
This is unforgivable.

All that said, since they export their backend RDF files,
we should be able to re-use a whole lot of stuff from
freshmeat, and/or use their xml-rpc api to forward our own
submissions to freshmeat. Not sure about the best way to do all this,
but I'm sure Steve will help ;-)

> Dave's site is great because it is so low tech imho.

Low tech is great unless you're the guy that does all the work :-)

> I think for advocacy purposes and general coolness, it would be nice
> to have a
> site devoted to linux _musicians_ where we can upload and compare tracks and
> production methods. More of an extension of LAU...

Sure, the more the merrier.
But I don't want to lose focus. You can build that site if you want :-)

There has been talk on the consortium_p list of having linuxaudio.org
be a sort of portal for various subdomains which can be maintained
independently. So my proposal could live at something like
apps.linuxaudio.org or similar. A musician portal could either be
based on linuxmusician.com (yes, it exists, check it out!) or something
similar at e.g. musician.linuxaudio.org.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com