[linux-audio-dev] Software with source code?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Feb 4 02:57:28 UTC 2004

>In YOUR opinion.  In MY opinion, proprietary software is "not good for
>Linux in general".  Our opinions differ, deal with it.
>
>At no point did I say you shouldn't have the right to release your
>software under whatever license you want.  I said I personally consider
>it "garbage", and I do.

You are welcome to your opinion, and you are free to voice it here,
there and everywhere. But with freedom comes ... you guessed it,
responsibility. Responsibility to respect others and others' work.

Calling someone's work "garbage" doesn't sound like respect to me. If
I call you a "moronic lump of turd", and then defend my saying this
with "well, I do personally consider Dave to *be* a moronic lump of
turd", have I dispensed with my responsibilities to be civil and
respectful? I have not (and for the record, I do not have anything
like that opinion!) - quite the contrary I have failed miserably. If I
say "I think Dave made a mistake in releasing his code", am I closer
to behaving in a civic and responsible fashion? I think I would be.

Whatever you may think of Stefan's work, you have a responsibility to
respect his (and everybody else's) effort and choices. You can
tell us you don't like them, but you do not need to, nor should you,
tell us that they are "garbage". That isn't an opinion, its just a
disrespectful and unnecessary piece of labelling that we can all live
without.

--p (who is sure he's called something "garbage" more than once on this list)