[linux-audio-dev] libsndfile breakage

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Wed Feb 11 10:14:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:08:58 +0000
james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:

> Hi peeps,
>
>    I've only just started playing with libsndfile, so I hope this
>    isn't a dumb question.

What version of libsndfile?

>    I get a segmentation fault when I try to use sf_readf_float on some
>    wavs.

Are you sure the array you are reading into is large enough? Both the
files in tha tar.bz2 file were stereo. When you read a stereo file with
sf_readf_float, and ask for N frames, the destination array must be
2 * N in size.

> The odd thing is, if I re-save the file in the same format,
>    (with something like audacity or sweep) it works.

Audacity and Sweep both use libsndfile for file I/O.

> I thought I must
>    have been confused, and that the format was different the next time
>    around, but it isn't - at least as far as libsndfile's SF_INFO can
>    tell me.
>
>    I don't think the file is broken,

Correct, the files are fine.

Erik