[linux-audio-dev] MIDI interface latency

Damien Cirotteau damien.cirotteau at agnula.org
Thu Feb 19 12:25:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:47:12AM +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote :
> On tor, 2004-02-12 at 20:30, jrobbins at nymu.net wrote:
> > Anybody know what's the minimum latency that can be achieved passing MIDI
> > notes from one computer to another?
> -<snip>-
> >  ... I have a hunch that midi over ip has latency too high and
> > unpredictable for this.

Did you considered using MidiShare Internet Drivers [0]?

These drivers can operate in LAN mode or in WAN
 mode.

    * in LAN mode it provides low latency automatic communication to all
the stations connected to the same local network.
    * in WAN mode, the connection is user controled and the driver
provides both real time communication using UDP and secure transmission
using TCP.

for more informations have a look at [1]

best,
damien

[0] http://www.grame.fr/MidiShare/News/INetDrivers.html
[1] ftp://ftp.grame.fr/pub/Documents/ICMC02-ClockSkew.pdf