[linux-audio-dev] Some music made with Linux

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Feb 20 20:27:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:34:54PM -0500, Pete Bessman wrote:
> At Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:23:52 +0100,
> David Olofson wrote:
> >
> > > Tricky. To get crunchy hard-rock guitar sounds like Pete's
> > > (nice track pete!), you'll have to realistically emulate
> > > palm-muting, which I've never heard in a synth. And how would you
> > > control the amount of muting? Map it to a CC and play a slider?
>
> Don't think realistic.  Think like a synth.  If I was a synth, how
> would I play guitar?

if I were a synth, I would not be able to play guitar, lacking fingers;
but since I am myself, I can play guitar or synth depending on what I
want ;-)

I guess I misjudged the direction of the conversation.
I do think it's interesting to think about realistic synth emulation
of guitar, but not very practical - it's just so thorny.
Palm-muting is just one of the many tricky issues.
Think of the variables introduced by common picking techniques:
at the least you have to consider stiffness of plectrum (or finger),
force of pluck, and distance from bridge.

Much more practical, I think, is to do as you suggest:
invent synth sounds that capture something of the character
and attitude of a given guitar sound without trying to
duplicate it sonically.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com