[linux-audio-dev] Freeze?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 15:17:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:04:47AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> the problem is that in a typical DAW session, you can potentially
> freeze most tracks most of the time. so how can you tell what the user
> wants frozen and what they don't? More importantly, freezing consumes
> significant disk resources. Can you afford to do this without it being
> initiated by the user? A typical 24 track Ardour session might consume
> 4-18GB of audio. Freezing all or most of it will double that disk
> consumption (and its not exactly what you would call quick, either :)

No, but you can do it (semi-)transparently when the user presses play. I
dont know if that would be acceptable or not, but if you imagine adding a
few effeects, auditioning, rinse, repeat it might work out ok.

I'd always go for more CPU if possible - I'm not a huge fan of multiple
code paths :)

- Steve