[linux-audio-dev] Which API to use for simple clients?

Joost Diepenmaat ladspa-list at hortus-mechanicus.net
Fri Jan 2 20:13:34 UTC 2004

This is my first post to linux-audio-dev, by the way, so hello
everybody. :-)

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:15:12PM +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

> I have two Audio related projects that need updating.
>
> 1. "rsynth" formant based text-to-speech synthesis
>
> 2. Audio::* Perl modules.

I like your Audio::Play module, it's the only Perl module I've been able
to find that actually *works* for playing audio on Linux (Audio::DSP apparently
has memory leaks, and Audio::OSS is just too complicated, and seriously lacking
documentation).

> Both have existing /dev/dsp style backends at present, which have been working
> fine. But recently (SuSE 9.0 install?) when run under ALSA emulation of
> /dev/dsp they both started producing segfaults - "after program had exited",
> (neither valgrind nor gdb can give any info on the fault).

I cannot reproduce this on Suse 8.2 with an M-Audio Delta 66 card, but that card
has other problems with the OSS emulation - I can only get it to play to ALL
channels at once, which is kind of annoying when you have 6 out channels.

> So I decided it was time to do a native ALSA backend(s).
> I have rsynth backend working, and perl Audio:: one almost working.
> But before going forward I would like to solicit opinions on what
> is the "right" API to use.

 [ snip ]

I might be biased because of my hardware setup, but I would really like a some
ALSA (or maybe JACK) input/output modules with multi-channel support. I cannot
really comment on the different drivers from a programming point of view, because
I've only used them as a regular user, but some good, responsive multi-channel
audio modules is just what I'm looking for. Then I could really put my
LADSPA modules to some use :-)

Joost.
--
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/J/JD/JDIEPEN/