[linux-audio-dev] programming time signature and tempo

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Sat Jan 10 20:32:27 UTC 2004

James W. Morris wrote:
> can anyone point me to some information about time signatures and tempo

If you don't happen to have a MIDI spec handy (I think the part about
standard MIDI files is available on the MMA website) then have a look at
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/

Specifically, note the section on "Tempo and Timebase" under
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midifile.htm

This has all the formulas needed to convert musical time (which is used
by the deltas in most midi files) to real time in msecs, using the
division of the file (specified in the MThd chunk) and the Tempo meta
events.

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de